Sunday 2 October 2011

Curiouser and curiouser: English illustrators, designers and artists

...from the wonderful place I call home:

1. From 'The Highwayman', illustrated by by Charles Keeping
      I was literally raised on this dark poem, and I've always had a special place in my heart for it and its brilliant illustrations. I love the dramatic elegance of Keeping's inky style; how it so vividly portrays emotion and movement without using any colour- which i can link to my own work, I often just draw in black and white, although it's usually because I get really proud of a drawing and can't bear to colour it in, rather than because I've mastered the technical wizardry of the medium. (Far from it. :) )




2. 'Visions of the daughters of Albion' by William Blake
      I appreciate illustrations with meaning, and you don't get more meanigful than William Blake. This illustration has many meanings- all the characters represent something, with the overall theme of the painting being the innocence and political freedom of early North America, and the longing jealousy of the 'monarchy-opressed' Britain it sprang from. This is also relevant to me because I am half American and have an interest in early american history (well, the history of the Native americans, to be precise). I also like how he's drawn Theotormon (on the right) tying himself in knots over his moral dilemma- it's a really interesting visual interpretation of the metaphor.




3. Arthur Rackham
     I couldn't find the name of this work online, but I've always loved it particularly out of Rackham's work, since I found it in a book at school. I adore Rackham's style; i find it very inspiring as i am fascinated with fairy tales and his grim(m) yet homely style welcomes me. I really like the sinewy look of the tree and how that relates to the softness of the girl. This has special meaning to me because i also talk to trees. ;) I love trees, they tell me stories as they rock me.




4. Alan Aldridge 'Who Killed Cock Robin?'
     Last year i went to the Museum of everything in Primrose Hill, and was duly fascinated by some scenes by a taxidermist who had created what was almost like 3d illustration, illustrating stories using stuffed animals arranged in specific tableaux within glass frames. I forgot who the artist was, but this image reminds me of it. I find it visually stimulating, and very interesting as there is so much to look at...which is true of all Aldridge's work.

   


5. Tom Eckersley
      My favourite book as an infant was Percy Short and Cuthbert, which was about the adventures of a very small hippo and a giant pelican. For that reason I've always loved pelicans and wanted to climb into their ginormous beaks. :) This just reminds me of that, although the thing about banks (which is why he done it) is dull to the extreme.
http://www.vads.ac.uk/large.php?uid=115774



6. Frank Newbould- Skegness
    I am very inspired by the art deco style that is reflected in Newbould's work, although it's never influenced my own work (yet. I keep all doors open). This image resonated with me because it reminded me of my own fond memories of the seaside in my own bright red swimsuit when I was little. I've always loved red. The power of the graphic designer is immense, and I find this very interesting. Since seeing this poster, I've wanted to go to Skegness, a place I'd never even thought of before. Also: the old man reminds me of Captain January, a favourite Shirley Temple film of mine.




7.Cloud study by Constable
      I find this interesting purely because I love clouds almost or maybe more than I love trees. Actually. to refine that: I love clouds MORE because I haven't conquered drawing them yet. I'm pretty happy with the method I've got for trees and I need to have one for clouds too. And i just LOVE travelling through them,  especially the pillar-like fluffy ones that make planes jump about. I love turbulence. The best experience I've ever had was on a plane over Georgia, window seat over the wing, lightning storm literally forming out of the clouds next to me. The lightning cracked the sky open and illuminated the nebula-like, densely twisted cloud formatins around it. Everyone else was screaming but I was enthralled...




8. Ben Wilson- drawing on chewing gum
     This artist lives and works very near me and I've seen him at it often in my local muswell hill/east finchly. Besides that, I think I've eaten at the cafe this is about! (They're very good) I find the concept of his work very interesting, as I would never have thought to draw on gum ever, but it really does brighten up the streets.



9. 'Marriage a la Mode' by Hogarth
     I find his insights into social behaviour both funny and relevant despite how he worked in the 18th century. This has nothing of particular relevance to me except that it's just one of my favourite paintings ever. I like art to tell a story, stories are what I'm primarily concerned with...hence my river washed me up into illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment