Thursday 8 March 2012

The latest

Been doing this autghor project for a while now, and it has been the most...interseting of projects ever. It has been really good in that it has broken down a lot of my mental boundaries as to the nature of illustration,  and forced me to think  outside the box.
     The first part of the project passed uneventfully: draw or collect our nmost important things, but then the second half was instant;ly harder, though fun. We had to translate those 'functions' into 'form', and create a character. I was surprised at how hard that was, seeing as i usually do that sort of thing for fun. I supppose the thinking conventions of the task nmade it seem harder: having to really think everything through, whereas usually i just go with my gut an make more stuff up as i go along.

   Making the creature as a costume in one and a half days was an experience and a half! I didn';t fininsh, but i it was pretty much basically made.... I finished it later that week. It was also really beneficail to have the two costume designers, emma denby and riitta ikonen, in with us. Their work was AMAZING and it was truly great and inspiratinal to see what sort of vastly differnet things illustration students had done with their degrees, especially emma who had been a camberwell illustration student. Talking to them  was a true eyeopener. 
  I spent so much money though on making!! :( I was already broke but now i can't even afford to buy food :( :( and  i wanted an ipad this year!!!  lol i said that last year....

the next stage was  more challenging. Groupwork always is. It was very fun making the film, and going out in central london dressed as loons. The public's reaction was fantastic, we got stopped and asked for photos! Only after we'd departed the southbank did we think maybe we should have abandoned the project nad just stood on the street with bowls at our feet. Does one need a licence for that?
    The editing bit was the boring no fun bit, as really, all of us couldn't really do it. It basically became the job of one or two of us, and they got a bit stressed i think as a result. And it was so long!! But we made a good film.

I was looking forward to finishing with the groupwork, it always makes me uncomfortable, i loathe the organisational dificulties nad hte lack of control i have over my own work. Imagine my falling heart when i learned the nex tpart of the project was still in our grpoups, and for a month!!
     It's been very very hard to coordinate everyone, i keep thinking, if only i was on my own, this would have got done last week. we've only had one meeting where we've all showed up, and even that was missing one of us, but he was really ill, so legitimate excuse. Since then, the project's been up and down and round hte bend, as we all try to fit in our slants.
    i  feel as thought i'm doing hte majority of the work. i could be wrong, but i haven't heard from two group members in three days, don't know what they're doing, and i've been working solid for two days now, with the exception of this morning where my time was wastedby coming into uni. I thought we were all meeting, as we'd agreed to, but it was only three of us, with only my work. I had to leave before another could arrive to continue working: I'm doing practically all the writing in the manifesto: the history nad hte profiles, and by typewriter, which takes forever and is painful.  I'm writing it all becasue my author-voice fits best, adn i don't mind that, in fact, i relish th ecompliment becasue of course i want to be an author anyway, but i'm a ;little annoyed becasue the others are supposed to be swending me their info, practically done, for me to embellish and write in in my style. One i was able to write on my own becasue i'd had tons of chats with the creature's creator and i practically knew her as my own. but the others....i was highly dependant.  As of now, only one person has done as i asked. It's been two and a bit days...
   this is the problem with groupwork.... I get on well with my fellow groupmembers, no problems there, but this disorganistaion is not how i like to work and it's getting a bit frustrating as it impinges on my time adn stops me doing things i need to do for myslef, whilst it seems others continue to do theirs....

will kepp you posted.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment